Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I got new skills

Today I met my friend Kristin for tea. I went downstairs on my butt holding my crutches. I decided to try to open my front door alone. I haven't been able to do this before because the door is heavy and I had trouble figuring out how to position myself. I got my crutch in the doorway to hold it open for me and walked through my front door all by myself for the first time in maybe 7 months or longer. I felt so happy and so excited that I just stood outside the door beaming.

We walked to the coffeeshop together. It was an easy walk. I might try to go further tomorrow. Kristin walked me back to my apartment and I opened the door myself for the first time. I feel like I can leave my home alone now. It's a gigantic deal to me to be able to open that door by myself.

Perhaps because of my excitement, I decided to practice crutching up the stairs. I started with the first two steps and, before I knew it, I had gone up all 21 steps. I did it perfectly with no stumbles. I think inside steps tend to be easier because they are a little more even. I feel so proud of myself for making the attempt to open the door and go up the stairs. Yay!

I miss the time in my life when everything did not seem to require so much effort. I miss walking without thinking about each step. Being a new amputee definitely requires a level of mindfulness that my healthy body didn't. I am still getting used to all of these changes.

Some days, particularly Mondays, I feel frustrated at my lack of focus and low energy. I think I am still recovering from the weekly chemo. Being nauseous all day takes away my motivation and my energy. I get bored watching television all day.


2 comments:

  1. With enough practice and time, you will get so good at it that it will be second nature. It won't be long until you can walk and talk and whatever else you need to do all at the same time, no problem. This is so awesome! Sending you energetic thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are nothing short of amazing! I am so excited for you to be able to do all the things you've mentioned. I agree with everything Kristin said. Love your spirit and optimism! Good luck with your new best friend (your prosthetic). You are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete