Tuesday, July 10, 2012

flaming razor blade experience

I am back in Philly, after 9 days in NJ, recovering from surgery. I miss being home with my family, especially my youngest sister, Athena. Everyone helped so much. Living alone and having mobility struggles is challenging. It is hard enough to get dressed and move from my bed to the living room. It can be hard to prepare food and, sometimes, by the time I have put in the effort, I am no longer in the mood to eat.

This past weekend, I attended my cousin's wedding in Connecticut I got to see lots of cousins and other relatives. I used my drug calculus to stay out of pain (3 alcoholic drinks = 1 Percocet) and enjoyed myself.

This week, I have 3 doctors' appointments. Yay! Yesterday, I met with the orthopedic doc. I overheard him discussing my case while I was in the exam room. He said that Lumpy II was the worst Baker's Cyst he'd seen. I explained that my foot felt like it was burning all of the time and when I had weight on it, it felt like it was cut. The doctor agreed that the "flaming razor blade experience" was because of my nerves's general unhappiness. He prescribed me gabapentin to help with the pain. So far, it makes me woozy and sleepy. I don't really mind the sleepiness, though, as sleep has been challenging because of the pain. He also ordered another MRI and said that he wanted to surgically remove the cyst next week. I will have to stay overnight at the hospital. Apparently, it's harder to take out a Baker's Cyst than to perform a partial mastectomy. Who'd have guessed that? Somehow, I am more anxious about the knee surgery than I would expect.

Tomorrow I see my surgeon and Thursday I see my oncologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment