Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bye week

I don't have chemo or Herceptin this week. It's a bye week so that I can get rid of all the Doxil in my system before starting a new chemo regimen: Cisplatin and Taxol. I worry about the new side effects since Doxil has been pretty easy for me.

I asked my rehab doctor to talk to my primary care doctor to switch my pt. I am not learning enough where I am at. My Magee PTs gave me new exercises to strengthen my left hip so that I use the leg more.

Today, I had my first mammogram. I took a cab there and the administrators took a long time to process my paperwork. I got annoyed with them printing things out to give me to give to other people. It's so hard to carry paperwork without folding it or crumpling it when you are on crutches.

The assistant brought me back to the changing room and handed me a robe. When I put it on, I saw that one of the ties was missing. I couldn't hold it closed, carry my clothes, and walk (with crutches) to the lockers, so I went with the lack of modesty. I have had so many strangers look at my breasts in the last year. It's better than falling on my face.

The technician called me into a room off of the changing room. She told me to take off my robe and stand in front of the machine. She put stickers over my nipples and over the lumpectomy scar. Then she moved my left breast on to the table of the machine, just so, and then a plate came down and pressed it flat. It hurt for the few seconds until the plate came back up. She repeated the same thing for the right breast. It also hurt. Then she had the plates of the machine squeeze my left breast kind of at an angle. That hurt more. It brought tears to my eyes. Then she did the same on the right side. The squeezing felt uncomfortable on my port as well. More tears in my eyes. Then I was done! I don't know if I am more sensitive than other folks, but it seemed to hurt more than other women described to me. At least it just hurt during the squashing.

I was exhausted and due for Percocet by the time I left. I had trouble hailing a cab because I was having difficulty balancing without using both crutches. A guy (who turned put to be homeless) noticed my trouble and helped me.  He called up 3 cab companies and frantically waved at cabs for 15 minutes before an empty one came by. I gave him a dollar for his efforts. He even helped me into the cab. Yay for help from strangers!


Oh, and this:

3 comments:

  1. Man, that's a lot of things to pile on at once. To the hospital staff, each thing doesn't seem like a big deal I guess, but when you add them all up it sounds exhausting. My heart is warmed by the guy who helped you, it's surprising sometimes to see who the people are that reach out. I once had a homeless guy help me break into my car when I didn't have money to call a tow truck to do it. I gave him a ride across town after that, my friends were really mad because it seemed unsafe to them, but it seemed like the right thing to do. His name was Cowboy, I'll never forget it. Love you Jen. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Clavicle brace

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete