Thursday, August 8, 2013

Family like crazy

It's been a busy, travel-y, family-filled week. I have been too tired and too busy to write about it, but I have to give it a try.

Last Friday, after Herceptin, my brother Jimmy and his friend Crystal drove to Philly to pick me up. We had a pleasant 2.5 hour drive up to my parents' house. The next morning, we drove another hour or so up to my cousin Denise's house. She hosted a giant family reunion. I enjoyed visiting with everyone. I even walked on grass (and on a slope!) for the first time. It was delightful.





Sunday morning, Jimmy drove me back to Philly. An hour or so later, Ken and I were headed to Wildwood to visit his family. I went down 2 flights of stairs at my parents' house, up and down my giant set of stairs at my apartment, and up 2 flights of steps at Ken's parents' house. That's a lot of steps!

Monday, we all headed to the beach. His young nephew wondered where I put my leg. I explained that it couldn't come to the beach with us. We got a beach wheelchair and Ken pushed it across the sand for me. It seemed really tough to move. I wanted to get in the water, but Ken didn't know a way to easily move the wheelchair closer. I played in the sand with Ken's nephew and niece, instead. We pretended that we buried my left leg in the sand.




Despite the umbrella, SPF 50 sunblock, and a t-shirt, I got sunburned. Stupid chemo drug side effects. It was so worth the beach trip, though. The next day, we walked about half a mile on the boardwalk. I was pretty tired that night.

Yesterday, I had physical therapy for the third time in outpatient. We are working on strengthening my right leg and stretching the left, but I wish we practiced walking more. I need more direction with it to get better at it.

Today, Ken drove Nicole and I to Methodist for a battery of tests. We got there around 9:30 am. After the injection for the bone scan drinking the most disgusting liquid for the CT scan, I had to wait for the chemicals to get into the right parts of my body. During the wait, I had the 2D Echo (basically a heart ultrasound) that left me feeling a little bruised. Then, I had the CT scan and the bone scan. I will probably find out these results next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment