Sunday, September 22, 2013

Anosmia and neighborliness

I have been a little more breathless in the last few days. I haven't been able to walk as far, but I have left my place everyday. Yay! I need to set up my pedometer to keep better track of my distances. I had no appointments last week and didn't even call a doctor's office once. How delightfully unusual for me!

I have been struggling with a lack of appetite lately. On Friday, I had a clue. I was out with friends and ordered bread pudding. Folks a few seats away exclaimed how delicious it smelled. I couldn't smell it at all. I have since not been able to smell rubbing alcohol and burning toast. Occasionally a smell gets through, but it is pretty faint to me. No wonder beer tastes so bad to me! And no wonder why everything seems so salty! I guess this anosmia is a side effect of my chemo.

I practiced cane walking with Ken on Saturday. I get tired from it quickly. It is frustrating to not get too far before I need to rest.

Today, my parents came to visit. I met them outside to save them from climbing the steps. Then we had an utterly delightful dinner at Tre Scalini, across the street from my apartment. I ate a lot. I think the complex textures and flavors helped because  I could appreciate subtle components and not just salt. Also, we ate slowly with good conversation and lots of pausing. The owners stopped by the table to say hello to me and check in with our experiences. It was fantastic!

I just ordered groceries for tomorrow. I love this system of ordering from home. i may never regularly grocery shop again. I am going to try out cooking foods with a focus on subtle flavors and textures. Maybe it will help.

After dinner, my parents showed me a bedside chest that they brought. We all have some trouble on my stairs empty handed and could not even take it out of the trunk. I asked my neighbor, who has a barber shop next door. He carried it up the steps faster than I could climb the steps on my own. At the top I introduced myself and thanked him. He wouldn't take the money that my parents offered. I love the neighborliness of my neighborhood.

My mother helped with some cleaning and I gave her about 6 pairs of shoes that won't work with my prosthesis. Dad and I had a nice chat. He is having heart surgery tomorrow and it was pleasant to connect with him beforehand.





1 comment:

  1. Great conversation, great food, and great company. What a combo!

    ReplyDelete