Sunday, February 19, 2012

chemo

Thursday was my first chemo treatment. Since then, things have been kind of a blur. I will try to piece it together.

On Thursday, I was at the office from 11:30 am till almost 7pm. Dr R. examined me and told me about the treatment side effects. I had to wait for an available chemo chair.

Then a nurse injected the port site. It hurt. A lot. I probably would have kicked her if she was in front of me, just from reflexes. She said that it won't hurt as much next time because it would be more healed. I am getting cytoxan, herceptin, and taxotere. The nurses also gave me benedryl and dexamethasone so that I wouldn't be allergic or nauseous. Mostly I slept.  When I woke up, Ken and Nicole were there, which felt good. Ken took me to get pho and I slept for the rest of the night.

I slept most of Friday. I woke up so cold that I was shaking, despite laying in my zero-degree sleeping bag. I put on thermals and another blanket so that I could go back to sleep. My temperature went up to 100.4, so I called the doctor. My neighbor came by and made me tea. Ken brought me soup. I don't remember anything but trying to get comfortable.

I can't speak to anyone else's experience, but chemo, for me, felt like the very worst hangover ever, in the history of the world. A hangover after a night of drinking and fighting in the snow. Everything hurt. I seemed to have mystery bruises, aches, and tender spots everywhere. I felt nauseous and desperately thirsty. I couldn't seem to get warm. I was pretty cranky.

needle count: 14
touch count: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment