Thursday, March 14, 2013

CAT scan

On Tuesday, my friend Rich drove me to Methodist Hospital for my CAT scan. We got there around 1pm. Transportation gave me a huge wheelchair to use and I went up to the Radiology department. One of the technicians gave me two bottles of the gross tasting "milk shake" that would help the doctors see my insides better. After I drank it, we waited about an hour and a half to be taken back.

Everyone was very nice to me. The nurse asked if I could change into a gown by myself. The scan techs asked if I could move from the wheelchair to the bed by myself. The last time I was at that hospital I had both of my legs,but could barely walk. This time, I was pretty mobile, but had an obvious disability. The nurse was nice enough to use my port instead of injecting one of my veins in my arm. The test itself took just a few minutes.

Afterwards, I was super hungry because I had not eaten for the test. We drove to Lucky 13, in my neighborhood. I had a beer with my burger. They were both delightful. I was proud of myself for all of my walking and handling all of the steps well. I noticed my jacket had slid to the floor, so I turned on my bar stool and went to put my left leg down. I found myself lying on my back. I forgot that I didn't have a leg to stand on. I felt embarrassed and annoyed with myself for somehow forgetting that I didn't have a leg. Now, I feel glad that I had a moment where I could relax enough to forget my amputation. I didn't really get hurt, just a little bruised on my butt.

Yesterday, Hollace came over and gave me a massage. My left shoulder has been increasingly painful, making it hard to sleep. We had lunch together and went for a short walk. I had to turn around because my shoulder ached too much.

Today, I have been feeling even worse. I woke up because of a hacking cough and because my shoulder hurt. I have been trying heat and cold compresses, which help a little. I am also using my wheelchair today to ease the pressure on my shoulder.



1 comment:

  1. OMG I love that you had a beer! I don't love that you are feeling crappy, or that you fell down, but like you said, how great to have relaxed enough to forget about your leg for a while.

    I hope your shoulder stops hurting soon, thinking of you with love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete