Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Early birthday present

On Monday, Jeff, my prosthetist, came to my apartment so that we could test out the new leg. I picked it up for the first time and was surprised by how heavy it was. I walked with it from my living room through the kitchen and back while Jeff made adjustments. He left with the leg.

On Tuesday, Jeff and I met at Magee with Dr. Lax and my physical therapist. I practiced walking in front of everyone. People smiled encouragingly from other patient rooms as I walked with my prosthesis and my walker. I watched my feet on every step and was able to develop some regular walking rhythm, though I took tiny steps. I looked up for a few steps here and there. I felt amazing and so happy to be walking. Dr. Lax said that she will try to get me approved for staying at Magee for a week to learn to walk. It will be easier than traveling back and forth for rehab, though I will probably get bored in the hospital. Every day that I get to leave my apartment is a good day. Every day that I get to walk is amazing. My mood is considerably brighter than it was on the weekend.

I was a little sore when I woke up this morning and stretched for a while before getting up. I tried to call a cab to go to the chiropractor, but the dispatcher said that there were no taxis around me. I crutched two blocks to Broad Street. It is hard to hail a cab on crutches. It took a little practice to figure out how to balance. When the cab stopped, I realized that I hadn't opened a car door before by myself. I was proud getting myself I into and out of the cab. The chiropractor adjusted my neck which immediately relieved my shoulder ache. Then I had acupuncture on the shoulder to support its getting better. I hope the treatments help so that I can keep going for short walks.




1 comment:

  1. Dearest Jen, I think these are some of the most beautiful legs I have seen in a very long while. They will take you oh so many places.
    Love you, xoxo barb

    ReplyDelete