Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Going lots of places

I have been busy getting around for the past week. Last week, I walked about .5 miles to my friend Elissa's store and back. It was my first solo excursion with my prosthesis. I felt so excited to go. I found that it was tricky to carry my walker down 22 steps to the sidewalk. I strapped it to my back using a belt and a luggage strap run through the walker supports and crisscrossed over my chest. I walked down the steps at a very slow rate and felt triumphant when I got to the bottom.I enjoyed seeing my neighbors and everyone enjoying the weather.

I also got myself to the Amputee Support Group. I painstakingly got down the steps and hailed a cab. The driver was amazing. He had me sit up front and he folded my walker for me and put it in the backseat. When we got to Magee, he had trouble opening the walker and oiled the hinges for me. He also stopped traffic in both lanes so that I didn't feel like I had to rush. At the meeting, I met the other amputees. We discussed going to a Phillies game. It should be fun!

My gorgeous genius cousin Stephanie is in town for medical conferences. We met up for dinner across the street from my apartment. I was worried about having trouble negotiating the space, but I was fine. I had no trouble and didn't really even worry about energy, since Tre Scalini is right across the street.

On Saturday, Ken and I drove up to Jersey City for a dinner fundraiser that my Dad's friends arranged for me. It was fun seeing everyone. There was a fabulous drag queen lip synching to Portuguese music. A little 4 year old girl danced like crazy with her. I got pretty tired and felt so happy to pop my prosthesis off on the car ride home. He walked with me from his house to mine, which was another .26 miles.

Yesterday, I met my home care occupational therapist, Gail. She is going to help me get more efficient in my day-to-day activities so that I don't run out of energy. Yay! I could use some suggestions. Physical therapist Jim supported me in walking with the cane. I am not terrific at it, but I am getting better every day. Prosthesist Jeff also came by to check the locking mechanism on my leg. Sometimes when I walk, the pin becomes unlocked. He made a few suggestions. If they don't work, he will replace the pins on my liners.

I had another solo adventure of taking a cab to Elissa's birthday party. I enjoyed myself at the party. Everyone was so gracious in getting me food and drinks. I forgot how much one stands and walks while carrying things at a party. I was a little frustrated that I can't do that too much yet,

No comments:

Post a Comment