Thursday, May 2, 2013

The best parts of being an above-knee amputee (AK):


1. It is easier to tell my left from my right.
2. Crutching is a mini workout. My arms have never been this strong.
3. Getting around makes me be mindful of myself and everything around me.
4. I appreciate little things like sensation, using a bathroom alone, being able to stand, getting dressed, and going outside.
5. I get to feel like I achieved something big every day that I learn how to use my leg.
6. I have met so many super strong folks who are rehabilitating their bodies.
7. I get to meet so many supportive folks like my therapists, nurses, and doctors.
8. I have more empathy for people with mobility challenges.
9. I know, better than ever, that I live because of my amazing community.
10. I have perspective on what makes something a problem. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a blessing and a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment