Friday, May 10, 2013

Leaving Magee on two legs

I left Magee yesterday. I said my goodbyes to the lovely patients, hard-working nurses, amazing therapists, and supportive staff. Leaving was harder this time, maybe because I knew how much work being home would be. I wish that all my fellow patients get to leave soon and with more mobility as well.

Ken and I celebrated by walking to LeVirtu, a delightful Italian restaurant across the street from me. We walked slowly, skirting manhole covers and uneven bricks. I felt triumphant when we got to the table. The owners greeted us warmly and we enjoyed our meal. My sore throat made eating trickier, but I did my best. When we got the check, it turned out that Cathy and Francis had paid for us. It was very nice.

We walked back to my apartment and I scooted up the steps on my butt. I was too tired to go up on my legs and I didn't want to exhaust myself. I slept perfectly in my bed last night.

Today, I walked into chemo on two legs for the first time since last summer. My nurses and fellow chemo patients cheered for me. I showed off my walking for Dr. Rubin. I even got to see a patient whom I hadn't seen for over a month.

I feel like I belong to two social clubs: the folks at Magee and the folks at chemo. I find it incredibly helpful to be around people with similar struggles.



No comments:

Post a Comment