Sunday, April 28, 2013

Cancer is like college

Sometimes when I tell people about my experiences with cancer, they pity me. They sigh and shake their heads. They seem to think that it was all so terrible.

I don't really find it that way. It's just something that I am dealing with right now. Having cancer is like being in college. It's expensive, but I learn from experts in their fields. There are lots of tests. Roommates (in the hospital) are randomly assigned. I meet other people going through the same process as I am. There are relaxed times and stressful times. Many other people provide support: financially, emotionally, with training and explanations, and recreationally. My liver has to work harder. There's some uncertainty about how things will be when it's over.

I feel like I read some study on happiness which questioned people about their happiness and followed up with them after some had won lotteries and some had experienced bad medical news. People were about as happy a year after winning the lottery as they were before winning it. People were also about as happy a year following diagnosis as they were beforehand. Having cancer doesn't change any of the little things that make my happiness. I still have wonderful friends and family, a lovely cat, music, art, movies, going outside, eating certain foods, and every thing else.


No comments:

Post a Comment