Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 1 of prosthesis training




Yesterday, I arrived at Magee and answered a million questions by doctors, nurses, a social worker, nursing assistants, and other staff. I had to stay in bed all day.

Today, my occupational therapist, Katie, tested my ability to wash and dress myself. We had trouble getting my leg to lock on. I had not had much trouble when I practiced at home, but it was being tricky. I had physical therapy and my leg popped out of the prosthesis a few times after walking for a little bit. It wasn't clear if it hadn't locked in the first place or if it was unlocking. My prosthesist came to check on it and cut down the release button, in case it was getting bumped.

I got to walk today in the parallel bars. It was exciting. It's a little tricky figuring out how to move my hips. I am a little rusty at walking. It has been over a year since I could walk without a limp.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I'd love to see a video, if that's not weird!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a video that I am working on getting up. Funny you should ask.

      Delete