Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Me walking

Ken took a video of me walking about a month ago, before I had any training. I am trying to get it up for you to watch. It's exciting.

I am even better at walking now. Today I practiced for about 2 hours with my occupational therapist and my physical therapist. I also practiced shifting my weight to my left leg, sitting, going from standing to sitting and from sitting to standing.

It is so strange to think about the movements of walking when I have done it most of my life without thought. There are so many things to remember: pushing my butt over my left leg, squaring my hips forward, shifting my weight before taking a step, marching my left leg forward, holding my head up, and pulling my shoulders back. I feel like I am learning some complicated dance. It's astounding that it's just ordinary walking that my 3 year old niece does just about as well as my great aunts. Some day, I will be able to do it without concentrating so much. Maybe I will be able to walk across the room, without holding on to anything, in the next month or so. I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. Your post just made my day! Happy to read that therapy is going well :)

    ReplyDelete