Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pt with Deb

My new physical therapist, Deb, is amazing. She is like a cheerleader, a coach, and a mom in one. Deb said that she believes I can walk without an assisting device and that we will get me walking with a cane before too long. She asked me my goals for therapy. I said 1) walking without assistance, 2) climbing steps with overhangs without tripping, 3) riding my bike, and 4) doing a cartwheel. I had never really done a cartwheel before, but I always wanted to do one. Plus, it will be a good party trick. Deb didn't bat an eye.

We did lots of leg lifts while I wore my prosthesis. I lay on my right side, my back, and my left side while using my little leg to kick out the 10 lb prosthesis. It was hard work. My homework is to practice laying on my belly for 15 minutes twice a day. That's about my limit anyway.

Next, we practiced walking with 2 canes. It is hard for me to get the rhythm of moving the right cane, my left foot, my left hand, and my right foot down, but I am getting better at it. I haven't walked naturally since last February, 20 months ago. I have no idea what I am supposed to do with my arms. Deb says that it will come, but for now I count out the rhythm. I did better walking with a single cane after all my practice with two canes.

When I got home, I treated myself to a smoothie and watching Beverly Hills Cop (again, for the 1,000 time). I love that movie. Then my baby brother Jimmy came over and we talked and laughed and watched movies for hours.

Today, I have been utterly exhausted. I went for a very short walk, but had to rest. I hope I didn't overdue it yesterday.





No comments:

Post a Comment