Tuesday, May 8, 2012

chemo #5 in 2 more days

I thought I might list what I do before chemo to get myself ready. I'm a little anxious about it.

I try to go outside and have as much fun as much as possible, as I might be sleeping for a few days. Tonight, I'm going to see Feist. It should be awesome.

I try to stock up on food, particularly really easy to make soups and nutrition bars. I try to minimize dairy, especially in the few days following chemo because it doesn't seem to sit ok with my stomach. I have frozen fruit, almond milk, and coconut milk for smoothies. I also stock up on cat supplies, because it wouldn't do to have to get some when I'm not feeling great.

I do my dishes and try to straighten up my place as much as I can. It's pretty much only going to get messier for the next week, so I like to start out with a minimal of mess.

I pack my backpack. Chemo takes between 4 and 7 hours; I like to have a variety of things with me to distract and soothe me. Of course, I'm likely to fall asleep most of the time, anyway.
kind of in order of importance:
  • my bag, with my insurance card (in case they ask) and my debit card and ID
  • subway token, cabfare, or definite ride to chemo (ok, that last one won't fit in the backpack)
  • fully charged cell phone
  • warm stuff (it gets chilly)
    • a jacket
    • scarf
    • a hat
    • arm warmers
  • snacks
    • granola bar
    • cut up fruit and vegetables
    • maybe a smoothie
    • water, gatorade, etc.
  • music (thanks, Ken!)
  • lip balm and hand lotion (it's dry there)
  • Lidocaine (to numb the port)
  • note with new questions in it (so I don't forget to ask the doc stuff)
  • sketchbook and pen (thanks, Melinda!)
  • needlepoint: mandalas, thread, needle, scissors
  • Kindle (thanks, Mom!)
I'm debating whether to bring my ipad. I'm pretty sure I won't have a signal there, but I might still be able to play with it. I also sometimes pack medications and such if I plan to stay at a friend's house instead of going straight home.

No comments:

Post a Comment