Monday, November 19, 2012

Weekend bliss

This weekend has been fantastic, gorgeous, and 6 kinds of wonderful. My godmother arrived Friday afternoon, just as the EMTs were bringing me into my apartment. I love her. She christened me when she was ten and we've kinda grown up together.

While I took my post radiation nap, she started cleaning. When she left on Sunday, my kitchen was spotless for the first time in months. She made Ken and me her mother's beef stew over rice, which was delicious. We even got to have one our marathon talking sessions, until 3:30 am. This session was on the same day that she and Ken helped me scoot myself down the 21 steps to the sidewalk. We rode up Passyunk Ave. hoping to run into friends. After a few blocks, we turned around and stopped at Chayya for refreshments. Yum. I got myself back up the stairs and rested for a bit.

Peg left Sunday and Athena arrived a few hours later, along with the nurse. The nurse changed my bandages with the most calming attitude of any nurse. She said that the sore spots were healthy skin that had gotten stuck with adhesives. Somehow that reassured me.

Today, the EMTs brought Athena and I to my oncologist's office. The staff suggested meeting with Dr Rubin, before heading to the infusion room. Nurse Rosie took blood; a few minutes later Nurse Sara said that my blood levels were too low to get chemo.

Dr Rubin came in and suggested that I take neupogen to rebuild white blood cells only on days with no chemo or radiation. So, I am taking it this week and the weekends, in the future. She felt that my leg shrunk! She suggested airing it out sans bandage for a few hours a day and applying desitin to the raw spots of my leg to help the skin heal. I did not need a transfusion or to go to the hospital.

Tonight, Athena and I are celebrating with Japanese food from a new takeout place.



1 comment:

  1. You are in my thoughts; hope your turkey day goes as good as this past weekend. Love, Paul

    ReplyDelete