Saturday, November 3, 2012

Coming home from the hospital

So, it has been a few days since my last update. While some writers may be quieter when things are quiet, I find myself less able to write when there are more things happening. I only have so much energy.

I am a free woman, discharged from the hospital on Tuesday night. Ken and Drinkhouse helped me bring my things back to the apartment. I was moved from the hospital bed onto a stretcher, where I was buckled in super tightly. The nurses were concerned about my getting cold, so they wrapped blankets around my head and shoulders. We drove the 3 miles from the hospital to my apartment and hit approximately 80% of the bumps. I tried to pad my knee, but I couldn't move my arms. We stop the ambulance in front of my apartment and the EMTs pull the stretcher to the sidewalk. They help me transfer from the stretcher to a chair so they can carry me upstairs and strap me in tightly. The man holds the back of the chair, while the woman holds the front as they navigate the steps.

I felt so scared. The movement Is not stable and there are a ton of steps going up to my apartment. I hold all the ends of the straps and pray "please god, thank you god" for each step that we pass. Finally we get into my apartment and back into my wheelchair. Hooray! Mission solved.

I will be having ambulance transfers from my apartment to Radiation and back all this week. The stair climb is similar in each case and tends to increase my anxiety and pain.



No comments:

Post a Comment