Saturday, October 20, 2012

Chemo + radiation + roommates

I had my third round of radiation yesterday. It was much easier to get on and off the radiation table. I was surprised at how much less my leg ached when we were done. A few hours later, I had a round of chemo. My nurse gave me breaks in the chemo to resume morphine for about an hour. I don't have as much pain and haven't needed as much morphine as I had.

Thursday night, after Ken left, I had a new roommate. She had been asked to be moved from her old room. She kept me up with her ranting, to me at first and then to her husband on the phone. Her family visited all day yesterday and were characters, to put it mildly. The patient yelled about everything. Her 25 year old nephew flirted with me explaining "really hot" ways to tie a scarf on my head. When it was time for her to be discharged, they couldn't find her shoes. My neighbor paced up and down the length of the room crying about how nothing works out for her. It turns out that the staff had released them with another family. They found another pair of shoes her size, which happened to match her pink hat perfectly. The shoes didn't fit because her feet were swollen from pacing. As the family left, they cheerfully shouted that they'd see me later. Gosh, I hope not.

Ken arrived later. Visitors cheer me up so much, especially when they don't mind my falling asleep during our conversation. We played scrabble and he won by about triple my points. When he left, another roommate took the bed next to mine.

I am exhausted today. I slept for a few hours and was awake for a few hours all night long. This weekend, we are working on getting me off the morphine and back on the pills. My favorite resident told me that he was moving to the another floor so I gave him one flowers crowding my table.


1 comment:

  1. glad to hear you're not in as much pain and that it's easier moving on and off the radiation table. You're getting better!

    ReplyDelete