Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Early waking musings about sleep

Once again, I am awake at slightly weird hours, 5 am. This next paragraph is me wondering, in writing, how much sleep I got yesterday. You can skip it.

I woke up pretty early yesterday, too. I had a short nap around 3pm, during my friend Nicole's visit. Later, my friend Monica came by and we split a roast beef sandwich. I fell asleep toward the end of her visit, too. I think I was awake and asleep until around 11, because I wanted to commit to staying awake for my midnight drugs. I watched the entire season of Portlandia, which has its moments and could have used more of them.

It took me about 40 minutes to take my pills and to give myself a shot, mostly because I am trying to space them out a little to make it easier on my belly, nurse tip. I don't think I got into my bed until 2pm because it took time to pack my "switching rooms" bag and I decided to pack a big water bottle and a banana, just in case.

When I first woke up, I had some water and the banana and it felt so good. It felt like I had been trekking in mountains and taking a much needed break, instead of sleeping. I am probably dehydrated. It is hard to tell. Typically, dehydration is apparent when pee is a darker color, but the chemo that I am on makes my urine a bright, scary orange. I try not to look.

I wonder if it even matters how much I am sleeping. I mean, some days, post chemo, I have slept over 10 or 12 hours. On my previous dosage of long-acting OxyContin, I would have micro naps where I might fall asleep in the midst of conversation several times for 30 seconds to a minute. Most people are too polite to say something, but it is a uniquely awkward feeling to wake up again while talking to someone. These situations happened mostly in the hospital while aides were checking my vitals at 4 am (because that's reasonable?!) or during rounds or pre-rounds between 6:45 and 7:30 am (because that is reasonable?!). Eh, serves 'em right if they are going to try to talk to me before it is reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment