Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hints for how to talk to sick folks


I know it is hard to talk to people who are going through rough times. Many folks have a tendency to avoid sick people because doing so helps them to avoid the anxiety associated with sickness, the changes in their friend, and the constant coping with the unknown.

Here are some tips, at least for talking to me:

  • Do not ignore me.
  • Ask me how I am only if you really want to know.
  • You can say, "I don't know what to say. . ." when you don't know what to say
  • Ask whether I need to process stuff or if I would prefer distraction.
  • Ask before hugging or massaging
  • Text me before you call, to check the timing.
  • When I cry, offer hugs.
  • Tell me about yourself. I am a great listener.
  • Follow my lead when it comes to where I am physically 
  • Offer to play games, make art, do puzzles, etc.
  • Try to include me in activities. I cannot walk, but I can use my upper body
I am too tired now to add more to the list. I am trying to alleviate my anxiety at coping with anxious friends and family. Love you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment