Friday, August 24, 2012

I love it when a plan comes together.

Today was Good.
Today was fun.
Tomorrow is another one.    Dr. Seuss


Maybe my day wasn't that fun, but sometimes I like to exaggerate. I got another sponge bath! My grandmother's sisters (and family matriarchs) visited with me for hours. My parents also drove down for the weekend and are staying in my apartment. It feels a little weird that they are there, but I am glad to see them.

Also, I had several meetings with doctors today, including Dr. Lackman, twice. We are waiting on results from  the lung biopsy, but have some vague plans for possible chemo, surgery, and radiation. He said Sneaky (my nickname for the sarcoma) is a (UPS) Undifferentiated Pleomorphic Sarcoma. It's wacky "undifferentiated" nature confused doctors about whether it was synovial or muscle in origin and possibly complicated diagnosis, it acted "cyst-y" and not "cancer-y".  Dr. Lackman emphasized getting my knee straight, too.

I came up with a knee straightening idea, based on mirror therapy in phantom limbb pain. When a person loses a limb, he or she may experience pain, cramping, etc. in that area even though the limb is missing because the associated parts of the brain are still functioning "as though" the limb was in place. The amputee places a mirror to see the reflected healthy limb in the location of the missing limb. The person exercises, stretches the healthy limb and the parts of the brain associated with the amputation are stimulated through the visual system. I might not be explaining it well, but there's some great YouTube videos on it.

Anyway, my theory is that since my leg has been stuck for a while, maybe the nerves associated with that area are a little confused about what should be happening. Maybe my Strong Right Leg and my Amazing Visual System can tutor the motor and sensation brain parts associated with my left leg. Besides, it really can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment