Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My, what a busy day!

This morning, two members of the physical therapy team assessed me at 6:45am. After that, I had a fairly constant stream of visitors for the next 5 hours. The nurse gave me a strong painkiller. Each member of my medical oncology team spoke with me individually about transferring to Cooper University Hospital for treatment by the renowned Dr. Lackman. The hospital chaplain visited with me for an hour; we had a lovely conversation about hope and joy. He reminded me of grandpa and I reminded him of his younger sister. Meanwhile, the nurses and nursing aides continued to check on me. The medical oncology team visited together and announced (again) that I would definitely be transferred to Cooper University Hospital (3 miles away in  lovely Camden) and that Dr. Lackman had committed to treating me. Yay! The nurse set about the process of transferring me.

I had not eaten or drank anything since Midnight Tuesday in preparation for the lung biopsy. Transportation got me to the CT area around 1:30; waiting for the biopsy team was my first break from everyone. It was blissful! Hospitals are terrible places to rest.  I cheerfully recognized one particularly calming nurse on the team from the last time the cyst was drained. Apparently they gave me a lot of sedatives, because I don't recall too much until I got back to my room. Athena, Susan (family counselor), Rachel & 2 year old Elsa, Monica, and Elizabeth visited with me as I devoured my lunch. I also had another flower bouquet. Yay!

The rest of the day  consisted of telling other people the transfer plans and waiting for a clean room at Cooper. My cousins Dino and James and Ken entertained me with stories as we waited for the ambulance. Ken trailed the ambulance to help me settle into my room while everyone else headed home. At Cooper, I have my own room and it has windows, lots more chairs, a big tv in front of the bed (instead of a tiny one slightly behind it). I think I am going to like it here. 

Needle Count: 78

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the new digs sound like a big improvement! I hope the food is better too. :) love you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food has been so much better. I have eaten most of each of my meals so far.

    ReplyDelete